Category: Thai Main Course
Preparation time: 60 min
Setting time: 30 min
• 2 lbs. of beef, Brisket or Chuck
• 2 cup beef broth
• 2 cups water
• 2 cup of coconut milk
• 1 tsp. coriander leaves
• 2 stalks lemongrass
• ½ tsp. coriander seeds
• ½ tsp. galangal grated
• ½ tsp. garlic grated
• ½ tsp. cumin
• 1 tsp. red curry paste
• 5 tbsp. palm sugar (substitute white sugar)
• 4 tbsp. of red chili paste (Panang paste)
• 3 tbsp. of fish sauce
• ½ tsp. of salt
• 6 lime leaves, cut into julienne strips
• 3 red Thai chilies cut into strips
1. Add all the spices in the mortar & pestle and ground them to a thick homogeneous paste, reserve.
2. In a stove add the beef broth, water then season and simmer the Brisket for 1 hour, very gently, until the beef is reasonably tender.
3. Heat the coconut cream in a pot until it starts to break over medium heat and stir as it comes to temperature, as it can burn.
4. Once the coconut milk separates, add in the chili paste and the spices thick paste stir it to combine. Once the chili paste is hot and fragrant, add in the beef and the water and all remaining ingredients except for the lime leaves
5. Let the mixture simmer for a few minutes until the beef is cooked through and the sauce has reached a desired consistency (if it’s too thin, boil for a few minutes more).
6. Taste for seasoning and add more fish sauce or sugar if needed and then transfer to a bowl for serving.