Category: Primo Dessert
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Cost: $ 18.00
Kitchen Special Tools:
• 1 Large Mixing bowl
• 1 whisker
• 1 Blender for Cream
• 1 heavy bottom pan
• Paper towels
• 3 ½ cups heavy cream
• ¾ cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
• 8 egg yolks
• 3 ounces fine quality bittersweet chocolate, chopped
• 1 Pinch of salt
• ½ cup cornstarch, mixed with 1/2 cup cold water
• Butter, for greasing dish
• 1 ½ cups dry bread crumbs
• ½ cup hazelnuts
• 1 cup all-purpose flour
• 2 large eggs, beaten
• ¼ cup sugar
• 2 tablespoons butter
• 2 bananas, cut crosswise into 1/4 inch slices
• 2 cups Canola oil
1. In a heavy-bottomed pot combine the cream and sugar. Bring to a simmer over medium heat.
2. Place yolks in a large mixing bowl.
3. Whisk vigorously, slowly pouring in about ½ cup of the hot cream mixture.
4. Turn off heat. Continue to whisk in remaining cream mixture, chopped chocolate, and salt.
5. Let cool until no longer steaming, then mix in a blender until smooth.
6. Strain back into pot and return to medium heat.
7. Add cornstarch mixture, and stir until mixture is thickened enough to coat a spoon.
8. Pour into a buttered (9-x-12-inch) dish.
9. Cool to room temperature, then cover with plastic wrap and freeze until very firm, overnight.
1. Combine breadcrumbs and hazelnuts in food processor. Process until finely ground.
2. Transfer to a wide shallow bowl. Cut custard into 2-inch by 3-inch pieces, then dredge in flour, coat with beaten eggs, and roll in breadcrumb mixture.
3. Return to freezer while you complete next step.
1. In a heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat, cook sugar for a few minutes, until amber color.
2. Add butter and bananas. Stir to coat, and cook for 1 minute.
3. Remove from heat and allow cooling.
1. Fill a large, heavy pot with about 2 inches of oil.
2. Bring to 350°F. and test by tossing in a few breadcrumbs, which should brown immediately.
3. Working in batches, fry pieces of crema fritta until crust is golden brown, 2 minutes.
4. Drain on paper towels.
1. Make a Napoleon with caramelized bananas, sour cream and vanilla ice cream.