Kitchen Special Tools:
• 1 Baking proof pan
• ½ pound ground chuck
• ½ pound ground spicy Italian sausage
• ½ medium onion, chopped
• 1 clove garlic, minced
• 1 teaspoon ground oregano
• ½ teaspoon ground basil
• ¼ teaspoon salt
• ¼ teaspoon pepper
• 1 can whole peeled tomatoes with basil, garlic, and oregano
• 1 can tomato sauce
• 1 can tomato paste
• ½ cup small curd cottage cheese
• 2 ounces grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
• 1 tablespoon freshly chopped parsley leaves
• 1 large egg, lightly beaten
• 6 lasagna noodles
• 1 cup shredded whole milk mozzarella
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. In a large saucepan, combine ground chuck, sausage, onion, and garlic. Cook over medium-high heat until meat is browned and crumbled; drain.
3. Return meat to pan and add oregano, basil, salt, and pepper.
4. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, and paste. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 45 minutes.
5. In a mixing bowl, combine cottage cheese, Parmigiano-Reggiano, parsley, and eggs.
6. Boil a large pot of water, and cook the lasagna noodles for six minutes. Remove from water, brush lightly with olive oil to prevent sticking, and set aside.
7. Pour ¼ of sauce into bottom of a baking pan. Place 3 cooked lasagna noodles on top of sauce.
8. Spread ⅓ of cottage cheese mixture over noodles, top with ¼ of sauce, and ⅓ mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers, ending with sauce, and reserve ⅓ of mozzarella cheese.
9. Bake 45 minutes. Top with remaining mozzarella and bake 15 minutes or until hot and bubbling around edges.
1. Let the Lasagna rest for 15 minutes then serve in a dish or a platter garnished with fresh parsley and garnishes.